Sunday, May 10, 2015

Written in February 2014

February 2014

This blog is the result of several visits to the Jewish cemetery in Lubaczow from 2002 to 2014. 

The basic information for each grave was written down in 2002 and 2003 when the vegetation made the registration difficult.

In 2008, 2013 and 2014 I have rechecked the information on some of the graves, but these visits were very short.

Photos of individual graves have been taken during all visits.

The more I got to know the cemetery, I discovered:

Erosion makes it difficult to read many of the gravestones.

Though I read modern Hebrew, the Hebrew on the gravestones often used words, expressions and  abbreviations that were new to me.  

Through many of  given names of those buried - Scheindel, Hersz, Sprynca, Leib, Rachla, Berl, etc - I felt close to Yiddish , a fascinating language. 


The hope to identify who was buried here, so that relatives could find their family graves,  changed when I discovered that only around 40 out of the close to 1600 gravestones had family names inscribed on the stones.

Index lists provided by Jewish records Indexing - Poland (www.jri-poland.org) made it possible to compare dates of deaths from September 2nd 1914 to December 23rd 1938 (Latin letters, Christian calendar, given names and family names recorded by the authorities in Latin letters) to the information I had earlier collected from the gravestones ( given names of deceased and given name of father in Hebrew letters, no date of birth, Hebrew calendar) for graves from 1914 - 1938.

This blog tries to list whatever information and possible photos I have collected through the years for all the graves. Additional photos and information are most welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment